Friday, September 13, 2013

Chocolate zucchini cake

We have had a lot of zucchini pass through our kitchen this summer.  Probably more than any other year - and all from a single plant!  I had no fewer than 6 zuchs in my fridge at any given time once it started to produce.  Most of it was grilled, but it has been added to pastas, curries, and salads (plus everything that went into the freezer).  But this is now my all-time favorite use for zucchini:  Chocolate zucchini cake!

I found the recipe at Plump Me Up

It was super easy to make and everyone that tried it thought it was amazing.  I am inclined to agree...and it makes me glad that I have 15 cups+ of frozen shredded zucchini in my freezer so I can make this all winter long!

Since its only the two of us, a 9x13" pan is quite a lot of cake.  It would be perfect for family functions, but I think the next time I make it for the two us I will likely cut the recipe in half, otherwise I am likely to end up eating the whole tray on my own!

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional - but its so good with them!)


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan. 
3. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite chocolate frosting!


2 comments:

  1. This looks pretty good Candice. I may give it shot since Chelsea is now back on the Sunshine Coast and I am sure she'll love it.

    All the best, Uncle Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! Definitely let me know how you like the cake!

      Delete