Friday, September 20, 2013

Fun at the Fair

With the fall here in full force, and my garden finally under control, we decided to do a day trip last weekend to get out of the house.  I looked up the events within a reasonable driving distance and we decided to venture out to Binbrook for their annual Fall Fair.  Although I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "city girl", I am also not a country girl.  And while there are lots of farms that I drive by (and walk through) regularly, the vast majority are agricultural crops.

We enjoyed walking around and visiting the various exhibits, checking out the baking/canning competition, handmade knits and quilts, and viewing the veggies on display.  It was fun to compare what I had grow to the various prize-winning produce!  I would like to think that I could have won a blue-ribbon had I entered some of our produce.

There were lots of farm animals about - cows, pigs, sheep, goats and alpacas.  We saw cows being judged (although I have no idea what kind of criteria are used to judge a cow).  But our favorite had to be the chick coop.  Who knew there were so many kinds of chickens?!?  I especially liked the fancy ones with feathers on their feet!  There were also fancy pigeons and ducks being judged.

All in all it was a great way to see what is going on locally, learn a few new things and get us outside for the afternoon.  Its definitely something that we will do again!








No comments:

Post a Comment