Monday, April 7, 2014

Starting Seeds

Sorry for the very long hiatus!  I had meant to blog throughout the winter but a few things came up heath-wise and I never did get around to posting any of the things that I did.  But with spring seeming to finally be here in Southern Ontario I have finally found the motivation to start my seeds!

I prefer to start them later than some people - I don't like to put anything in the ground until the Victoria day weekend, so starting at the beginning of April gives me plenty of time!  This year I am scaling back a bit on what I am planting as I have a busy summer coming up.

I don't do anything special to start my seeds - just mix up some good quality soil with some water to make sure its nice and damp, and pop the seeds in!  This year I have started:

cucumbers
purple basil
green basil (because we use more of this!)
yellow zucchini
Aunt Ruby's yellow cherry tomatoes
green zebra variegated tomatoes
Tasmanian chocolate tomatoes (our favorite from last year!)

Now I would have preferred to do a more Tasmanaian chocolate and less green zebra, but apparently I had a brain fart while labeling my seeds saved from last years plants - and had 2 labeled Tasmanaian chocolate when one of the packets was definitely from green zebra!  So we will have to wait and see which was which.  I will likely give some of these tomatoes away as I really don't need that many plants - since I will still be stopping by the local nursery to pick up some seedlings of other heirloom varieties that I would like to try out.

I cannot wait for the warm weather and to be back out in my garden again!  And hopefully this will lead to posting more frequently now that I am out and about doing fun things rather than hibernating like I did all winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment